NEW online course publisher directory & registration criteria
As of April 2019, the University of California has an updated online course policy that supports quality online A-G courses through shared oversight. Please visit the Online courses page to see the full revised online course publisher policy, which includes the eligibility criteria and FAQs.
The revised online course policy will be implemented in stages between now and January 2020.
Beginning January 2020:
- If an online course publisher meets all of the criteria, they can register to be included in the publicly available directory that will serve as a statewide resource to California high schools seeking online courses to fulfill A-G subject requirements for University admissions.
- Online course publishers that currently have an active A-G reference list will no longer maintain lists with UC and instead will appear in UC’s new publicly available directory of registered online course publishers.
Starting February 1, 2020:
- Instead of schools adopting courses from online publishers' A-G reference lists, the process to add online publisher courses to a school’s A-G course list will involve the high school:
- UC will conduct a random review of self-reported online publisher courses during the annual course submission period.
From now until the start of 2020:
- Online course publishers with A-G reference lists - Online course publishers that currently have an active A-G reference list do not need to take any action for the remainder of the current A-G course submission cycle for the 2019-20 school year. This includes not needing to renew expiring online courses and not submitting any new courses for UC review.
- High schools using online publisher courses - Until the end of the current 2019-20 submission period (September 15, 2019), schools can continue to add online courses to their school's A-G course list by adopting courses from online course publishers with an active A-G reference list. All courses that schools have adopted from online course publishers will automatically roll forward and appear on schools' 2020-21 A-G course lists when the next submission cycle opens on February 1, 2020.
- UC is not processing any new online course publisher registrations for A-G lists. Instead, we are preparing a new process to develop the forthcoming publicly available directory of UC-registered online course publishers that are partnering with California high schools through college-prep online learning.
Laboratory Science D Updated Discipline
Beginning with the 2018-19 school year, UC is introducing revised science discipline options for courses submitted under the laboratory science D subject area. These updated science disciplines align with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) for California public schools that many high schools across the state have been implementing.
The updated discipline options are:
Single Science Disciplines
- Biology/Life Sciences
- Earth & Space Sciences
Single Science Discipline Integrated with Earth & Space Sciences
- Biology/Earth & Space Sciences
- Chemistry/Earth & Space Sciences
- Physics/Earth & Space Sciences
- Integrated Science 1
- Integrated Science 2
- Integrated Science 3
Other Disciplines Names
- Applied Science*
- Computer Science*
- Interdisciplinary Science
*NOTE: Area D courses in Applied Science, Computer Science, and Engineering may be used to fulfill the third recommended year (or more) of UC’s laboratory science (area D) subject requirement.
Subscribe to our bulletin and receive up-to-date information on everything A-G, including announcements on changes to the A-G course submission process, tips and tools to successfully update your A-G list and important information about new A-G course policies and criteria. Teachers and administrators with an A-G CMP account are automatically added to the bulletin's distribution list.
- May 2019
- May 2019 Special Announcement - NEW Online Course Publisher Directory & Registration Criteria
- April 2019
- March 2019 - includes laboratory science (D) update information
- February 2019 - includes laboratory science (D) update information
- January 2019
- February 2018
- May 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- August 2016
- May 2016
- Februrary 2016
- September 2015
- May 2015
- February 2015