Policy Announcement on Area C
As of October 2020, the University of California’s Board of Admissions and Relations with Schools (BOARS) approved a proposal from a UC mathematics and statistics faculty working group to update the mathematics (C) course criteria and guidelines for the 2021-22 school year and onward.
The overarching goals of the course policy revisions were to:
- Clarify UC’s expectation for college-prep mathematics courses that will help students acquire specific skills to master the subject’s content and also gain proficiency in quantitative thinking and analysis;
- Support the efforts of high schools to develop and implement multiple college-prep mathematics course options for students;
- Encourage the submission of a broader range of advanced/honors math courses (e.g., Statistics, Introduction to Data Science) for area C approval.
For details of the policy changes, please visit the revised mathematics (C) course criteria and guidelines as presented on the A-G Policy Resource Guide.
For key highlights of the policy revisions and additional policy background information, please see the HSA Special Bulletin on UC’s mathematics (C) update.
In delivering expanded high school math (C) course offerings, California high schools are providing students more opportunities to pursue the mathematics education most relevant to their academic and career aspirations. UC stands in partnership with PK-12 districts across the state to make bold changes in mathematics teaching and learning to support every student’s success.
For schools transitioning to online instruction in response to COVID-19
If your school is transitioning to online instruction as a temporary measure due to public health precautions related to COVID-19, please know that this situation DOES NOT require you to re-submit your A-G course descriptions.
No action is needed, and in no way does this affect the status of your A-G approved courses.
If you have questions or concerns about transcripts or course/grade validation, please reach out to Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Policy Announcement on Area D
As of February 2020, the University of California concluded its deliberations on a proposal from our Board of Admissions and Relations with Schools (BOARS) regarding the area D science subject requirement for UC freshman admissions. Highlights of the announcement, recently distributed by the UC Academic Senate Office, are below.
To summarize, the actions approved by the UC faculty’s Academic Senate are:
- Change the area D subject requirement name from “Laboratory Science” to “Science”;
- Expand the options for science disciplines that fulfill the third recommended year of the area D requirement, including (but not limited to) computer science, engineering, and applied sciences; area D courses in earth and space sciences, as well as interdisciplinary sciences, can either fulfill one year of the 2-year requirement or fulfill the third recommended year.
- Maintain status quo for the area D subject requirement: 2 years of area D science, including or integrating topics that provide fundamental knowledge in two of these three subjects: biology, chemistry, or physics; 3 years of area D science is recommended.
Subscribe to our bulletin and receive up-to-date information on everything A-G, including announcements on changes to the A-G course submission process, tips and tools to successfully update your A-G list and important information about new A-G course policies and criteria. Teachers and administrators with an A-G CMP account are automatically added to the bulletin's distribution list.
- November 2020
- October 2020
- HSA Special Bulletin - Revised mathematics (C) course policy
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020 - Special Announcement on Science (D)
- February 2020
- January 2020 - Video Demo: How to self report an online publisher course
- December 2019
- October 2019
- August 2019
- May 2019
- May 2019 - Special Announcement: NEW Online Course Publisher Directory & Registration Criteria
- April 2019
- March 2019 - includes laboratory science (D) update information
- February 2019 - includes laboratory science (D) update information
- January 2019
- February 2018
- May 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- August 2016
- May 2016
- Februrary 2016
- September 2015
- May 2015
- February 2015